Friday, July 4, 2008

Here's the deal...

Okay, those of you who know me, even if only on the internet, know that I'm an old-school kind of guy.

But I do have one weakness...

There's this guy at my friendly not-so-local game store who runs a game at conventions (such as the one I'm at right now). It's a D&D 3.5 game and he is just running a series of modules. But I have so much fun at it!

Mostly, I like it when there are just a few other players and me. That's because many of those other players are kids.

I find myself in a position to pass on hard-fought wisdom from over 25 years of gaming.

(Also, back when I was first level, there was this Wizard who wanted to leave me for dead. I still give him crap about that...)

Plus, I'm playing a Bard, which gives me an excuse to make whatever lame-ass joke or pun I feel like, right there and then.


(As an aside, I used to play a bard named Jann in a 2nd ed game which became a 3rd ed game when that system was released. I had fun, but I didn't think that I was too overbearing. Well, one night I couldn't be there. The rest of the gang played, and they got along fine. The next week, they told me how they coped with my absence: Every 20 minutes or so, one or the other of them would say "Shut up, Jann!" and they'd get on with the game.

To this day, I'm not sure how to take that...)

No comments: