Friday, April 3, 2009

New Pictures!

"Plastics."

Here's the mage from the Caesar Miniatures I bought way last fall or summer or whatever. I finally painted him. (Click photos to embiggen.)

Actually, the reason I waited this long wasn't mere laziness. I wasn't sure how to prime the silly bugger. But then I came across the Junior General. And they led me to learn that Krylon makes a paint, called Fusion, that specifically bonds with plastic. Good stuff! And it's a buck cheaper than the primer I just bought at the gaming store...

Anyway, here he is, Fusion primed and miracle dipped.

5 comments:

Michael S/Chgowiz said...

Fusion is awesome stuff!

Armory's Matte Finish is relatively inexpensive, but good finish.

Will Douglas said...

Yeah, I like the Armory's products, but I'm sold on the Miracle Dip, so I don't really need the matte finish.

I don't know if you were reading when I extolled the virtues of the Miracle Dip (aka, Minwax Polyshades Tudor Satin 360). It's a protectant and stain for wood, but it works great on miniatures.

(I have one figure I use in an irregular 3.5 game that I've had for over a year now. I dipped it, and it doesn't show any signs of wear yet.)

kesher said...

That looks great! I'm really starting to get the itch to do some mini-painting...

Word Verification: lesses

Coopdevil said...

I've been swearing by a version of the Miracle Dip for a few years now, block-painting in bright colours and giving the model one coat of a coloured varnish (Satin Dark Oak) but I slap it on with a big brush rather than dip. Less messy, less wasteful and you don't have to hover over the model removing pools.

There is nothing better for speed-painting than Miracle Dip in fact if I hadn't discovered a locally-available (UK) substitute I would probably have given up on miniature wargaming altogether.

Will Douglas said...

Yeah, I actually use a brush myself.

I was worried about clean up for the longest time. I even got a can of mineral spirits (which sounds more like a D&D monster than a solvent, but there you go...)

And then I found a pack of 16 (!) brushes at the dollar store. Problem solved -- I just "dip" in batches and throw the brush away.